News Archive: June 2013

Thirds suffer defeat

Posted on

Hambledon's third string suffered defeat at the hands of Southampton Community II.

The team gathered at the Bat & Ball on a cold, damp day which was more like autumn than summer.

Skipper Martyn Shinn lost the toss and Hambledon were put in to bat.

In the 19th over Hambledon were 73 for one and looking good - but by the 21st over they had slumped to 84 for four and had lost momentum.

Eventually Hambledon reached 161 for eight - thanks to a stylish 83 off 89 balls by Phil Silvester (his first ever half century for the club).

Unfortunately, Martyn Shinn (17) and Wayne Norman (14) were the only other batsmen to reach double figures.

Phil Silvester followed his superb batting performance by taking the first four wickets in the Southampton Community reply - finishing with figures of four for 30 off 10 overs - and then running out the number five batsman with a direct hit!

Unfortunately, the other bowlers struggled for consistency and Southampton Community II reached 162 for seven in the 31st over.

Skipper Shinn said: 'A very disappointing day for all, except the excellent Phil Silvester!'

Double delight for U13s

Posted on

Hambledon under-13s are celebrating double delight.

The young Dons triumphed at Gosport and at home to Steep.

A young under-13 team travelled to Gosport on Wednesday missing many of the senior players - but came away with a six-wicket victory.

Gosport won the toss and decided to bat. The hosts were soon in trouble with the early loss of an opening batsman but after that the Dons found wickets hard to come by.

However, the young Gosport side made slow progress - finishing on 84 for three, a total helped by 29 extras.

Tom Toogood returned the best figures with one for seven off four overs, plus a run out.

Tom Sherry provided the champagne moment of the game with a fantastic stop and throw from close in for the third wicket.

The young Dons started their reply well, with Henry Glanfield making his intentions clear with a brisk 30 not out.

The innings kept well above the run-rate despite the loss of wickets and the victory was sealed by the partnership between Thomas Coyle (10) and Archie Bennett (19 not out).

The Dons were home and dry with five overs to spare on 86 for four - and followed up with hot dogs and doughnuts.

A rain-threatened Sunday morning saw the under-13s take on Steep at the Ridge.

Following a night of rain the wicket was green and wet but was drying quickly with a strong wind.

The Dons won the toss and decided to bowl and once again they struck early to leave the visitors rocking at 11 for two off 4 overs.

Toogood and Glanfield took the early wickets, with the latter handing the gloves over to Sherry for the game.

Steep's Rory Hewitt and Jack Campbell started to develop their team's most ominous partnership but spinner Freddie Martin bowled the former behind his legs and Guy Mullins took out Campbell's middle stump.

There was little resistance in the middle order, with Archie Bennett taking a double-wicket maiden in the last over to leave Steep on 72 for eight at the end.

Toogood again finished with the best figures of two for nine off four overs.

In reply, the young Dons lost the early wicket of Glanfield but a measured partnership between Martin (32 not out) and Louis Matovu (24) saw the team close in on victory.

The innings finished on 74 for two, with more than seven overs in hand.

A well-earned match tea of warm sausage rolls and sausages, plus flapjacks and fridge cake went down well with both teams.

And to keep the supporters happy Pippa Sherry supplied an excellent sponge cake.

Hambledon wait to learn knockout opponents

Posted on

Hambledon have been forced to wait until the weekend to find out their opponents in the last 32 of the National Village Knockout.

Into the last 32 of the competition after a tight three-run win over Hursley Park, Hambledon will host Cornish opposition at Ridge Meadow on Sunday, June 30.

But the Devon & Cornwall final between Roche and Truro-based Stithians was rained off and will be replayed this weekend.

Skipper Dan Hewitt was the hero as Hambledon clung on to defend a modest 129 all out in the Hampshire final against Hursley Park.

He top scored with 25 in the Dons' 129 and later took four for 17 as Hursley finished three runs adrift at 126 for nine after a tense finish.

Matt Oliver (34) and Paul Marks (20) top scored for Hursley, who needed 10 runs to win off the last over.

Lord's dream lives on for Dons

Posted on

Hambledon's dreams of reaching the National Village Knockout final at Lord's live on after winning the county crown on Sunday.

The Dons stumbled to 129 all out against Hursley Park at Ridge Meadow after they were asked to bat - with skipper Dan Hewitt top-scoring on 25.

But a spirited bowling performance from the home side saw them claim victory by just three runs on the final ball - Hewitt again leading from the front with four for 17.

The Ridge raiders had earlier turned up ahead of their biggest game of the season full of optimism.

The start was delayed by half an hour due to rain and with the covers still on the captains did the toss and Hursley submitted the hosts in on a green top.

Six overs down and Hambledon were cruising - but following a couple of questionable shot selections both openers had departed and Rob Atkins and Hewitt began a recovery attempt.

With blocks and occasional moments of flare, the scoreboard was ticking along nicely before the spinners came on and runs dried up due to slow turn and a sticky wicket.

Hewitt fell at 61 for three - catching a leading edge back to the bowler softly - and out came Joseph Brown, fresh off the back of a school ton the day prior.

But unfortunately it wasn't his day as a ripper from the Hursley skipper turned back through the gate and Atkins, who was the spine of the innings, fell shortly after as the ball dribbled back on to his stumps off a defensive shot.

Nick Scutt fell shortly after, leaving James Atkinson and Rory Prentice at the crease with 13 overs to go.

With Hambledon six down, the powerful pairing ran well and chose their shots carefully before Prentice was the first to fall and then Atkinson found himself back in the hutch, too.

The Dons were on the rails as Will Mann fell over a snorter and was stumped - bringing up the rearguard of Rhidian Chapman and big blocking Rupert Hetherington.

The pair put on a crucial 15 for the last wicket as Hambledon were all out for 129, 30 runs short of par and 45 short of a strong score.

Tea at the Ridge as always was delivered to the highest quality by Sue Turner.

And then, knowing something special was required in the second half and wickets early were essential, the Dons had their team talk and were pumped to say the least.

They had a team photo - being told this was a picture of the 2013 Hampshire village champions.

Prentice came down the hill and, with pace on his side, he delivered a good spell after struggling to get his lines and lengths in the first over.

Hewitt came up the hill and made an instant impact - following two dots with one that jagged back and trapped the opener in front of all three.

A fresh lefty at the crease and a hooping length inswinger chopped him in half, knocking over his off pole.

Off came Prentice and on came Hetherington, who was swiftly rewarded with a dolly catch to short cover.

A partnership was growing and the tide was shifting towards the bay of Hursley but on came Chapman and the Sunday smiler delivered his customary big inducker to trap the key opener in front.

Hursley were four down for 60 and it was beginning to look interesting when another partnership formed between the five and six batsmen.

The score crept towards 90 despite James Atkinson looking dangerous and change was needed, so the skipper brought himself back from the bottom shortly followed by Prentice from the top.

Hewitt cleaned up his opposite number and after another tight over from Prentice, he came back to clean up the number five.

At 95 for six, the advantage still firmly lay with the visitors as Hewitt completed his spell of four for 17.

Atkinson came on for his final two overs, with a very nice chap deciding that the best thing to do to a straight delivery was watch it hit his stumps.

A run out chance followed the next over and it was securely taken with a direct hit from mid-off by the skipper.

Another loose shot followed and Atkinson had his second scalp, with Hursley slipping to 100 for nine.

It was Hambledon's game to lose now as Prentice continued to steam in, bowling tight and forcing the run-rate to creep up.

Soon enough, 20 was needed off the last two overs with Prentice conceding six from the first set.

Chapman had the responsibility of the last over, with the weight of the club and history on his shoulders.

And the wee Welshman delivered, only conceding 11 and earning Hambledon victory by 3 runs.

Celebratory antics followed as the Blues delivered their best victory in recent years and regained their throne as the best villagers in the Shire.

Hewitt said: 'What a performance and what a win.

'Thank you to all involved - groundstaff, Sue, Jackie Turner, Bobby Scutt and all the crowd cheering us on.

'It was truly amazing, all 11 players wore their shirts with pride!'

Second string remains unbeaten

Posted on

Hambledon maintained their unbeaten record with a narrow triumph over Hythe & Dibden in Hampshire League division three south.

With wind roaring across the Ridge, the two captains completed the toss and the away side chose to have a bowl.

A poor start from the Dons saw Owain Chapman run out and Jamie Lewis bowled with the first five overs.

At 12 for two it was looking shaky but Paul Vickers and Nick Scutt knuckled down and started to steady the ship.

After 15 overs, the Dons were now 52 for two with both batsman starting to get in the groove.

And they continued to work the ball around and pick off the bad balls before the next wicket fell in the 35th over - Vickers out for 76 bowled around his legs

Scutt followed soon after reaching his half century - returning to the pavilion after producing a vital 55 runs and unlucky to be given out leg before wicket.

Last week's heroes - Will Atkinson and Adrian Magrath - were now at the crease and looking to have a bash with the former making 21 before being caught out and Magrath posting 10.

This left youngster Ioeseph Farrell and captain Rhidian Chapman to try to raise the score and the latter set about it in the right fashion as he got off the mark with a six.

Chapman saw most of the strike in the last four overs, ending up 23 not out and short of oxygen as Farrell ran harder than Forrest Gump to make some ones into twos as he finished four not out.

The Dons post 211 for six from their 45 and after tea the teams took to the field once more with conditions easing a little.

Chapman opened from the top end and Kyle Shinn from the bottom with the pair combining for a tight first 15 overs - the ball swinging around as Hythe & Dibden reached 35 for one.

A change of bowling saw the young Dons spinners George Harding and Spencer Le-Clercq get a chance to show what they could do.

The pair bowled in tandem and started to build some more pressure on the opposition, who at the drinks break were 75 for two with the game poised to go either way.

A Dons trademark wicket fell in the first over after the break as Le-Clercq claiming his first - before adding another in his next over.

At 30 overs it was 103 for four but Hythe still had plenty of batting in their middle order despite Harding picking up a wicket and finishing his spell with one for 38.

Le-Clercq returned two for 51 before the final 10 overs saw Lewis from the top end, then Kyle and Rhidian finishing their allocated overs from the bottom.

At 40 overs, Hythe were 165 for four with two batsman set and looking to go big but the Dons kept calm and picked up vital wickets to eat away at the momentum.

Shinn ended his 10 overs with one for 40, while Chapman took one for 24 to leave Hythe requiring 22 from the final over to be bowled by Lewis.

And Lewis kept his nerve as the opposition fell 12 short of the total with seven wickets down.

Chapman said: 'It was a nervy one for the Dons - after dropping too many catches which made it closer than it needed to be.

'But it is another win and we continue our good start to the 2013 campaign.'

Hollybank too strong for Hambledon III

Posted on

Hambledon III were beaten by league leaders Hollybank.

Skipper Martyn Shinn took his side to the pacesetters having lost three players from the previous week and looking to pick up valuable points.

The captain won the toss and decided to bowl, with Phil Silvester removing the Hollybank opener thanks to a superb catch by the number three wicketkeeper Tim Rogers.

Unfortunately, the next wicket did not fall until the 32nd over with the score on 160.

So 231 for seven off 42 overs was a good comeback by the Dons, with Silvester and Paul Jackson both taking three wickets and the impressive Steve Ripiner going for a meagre 20 runs off his 10 overs.

The skipper promoted himself to opener from number eight last week and then proceeded to bat through the innings, carrying his bat for 84 not out.

Unfortunately, the loss of regular wickets meant Hambledon were never quite up with the run rate and despite Jack Dyer (18), Justin Waldron (20) and Rogers (32) playing good cameos the Dons ultimately fell short by 27 runs.

Scoring 204 for eight, they gained 10 points - and the highlight of the day was Wayne Norman's face as he trudged off after getting out to Hollybank's only female bowler!

Hambledon up to third

Posted on

Hambledon brushed aside Hook & Newnham Basics to rise to third spot in Southern Electric Premier League division one.

Once again skipper Dan Hewitt lost the toss and was asked to field but on the back of four successful chases, the Ridge raiders were confident of the task ahead.

Hook got off to a solid start until the dangerous Ben Thane was removed caught behind off Hewitt.

Soon enough 12 overs were up and the spin flotilla was called into action from sheltering in the bay around the corner.

HMS Roscoe Thattil and HMS James Atkinson were called into action first with both looking dangerous from the outset - picking up wickets at regular intervals.

Off came Thattil and on came HMS Ian Turner with age against him but wind behind him.

He dialled in second ball with an uncustomary long hop first up and the flotilla were into action picking up regular wickets and getting chopped and changed with cannonballs were coming in from all angles.

On came Will Mann and claimed himself the achievement of the worse two-wicket hail ever seen in the league.

He was unlucky not to get a third, as well, with Rob 'Dying Seal' Atkins collapsing diving forward to shell a catch.

Soon enough the dons had missiled Hook out for 151 with Ross Hunter delivering a critical 62.

With the score set and the wicket looking difficult to score on, the Blues knew they had to get their heads down.

But soon enough they were two down after six overs with just three runs barely scratching the surface of what was beginning to look like a monumental 152 required.

Thattil and Joe Collings-Wells, who is now becoming known for his cricketing abilities rather than personality deficiencies, put on a quintessentially large partnership as both breezed passed their 50s.

Thattil fell 25 runs short of the finish line, leaving the skipper with a beautiful opportunity to throw together a mediocre 10 not out while Collings-Wells finished 76 not out.

The Dons won by a massive seven wickets, taking them to third in the league ahead of a trip to New Milton next Saturday and a massive National Village Knockout county final against Hursley Park at Ridge Meadow on Sunday (1pm).